Crooked teeth have a certain charm in little smiles. But as kids grow up, crooked teeth can create dental health problems. At Stephen Ratcliff Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Arlington TX, we usually recommend straightening children’s teeth with braces.
There are many reasons for this. Some are related to dental health, while others have more to do with appearance.
1. A beautiful smile with straight teeth boosts your child’s self-esteem.
Straight teeth make the whole face more pleasing and attractive. A child who is self-conscious about crooked teeth may be reluctant to smile.
2. Crooked teeth can influence the bite.
If you suspect that your child’s bite is not aligned, we invite you to make an appointment with us. We can evaluate your child’s bite and make recommendations accordingly.
3. Crooked teeth can influence normal speech development.
4. Correcting a child’s teeth with braces is quicker and easier when the jaw is young and flexible.
5. Crooked teeth can curtail your child’s capacity to eat a healthy diet.
Misaligned teeth can make chewing and eating difficult. Children need a variety of foods but may miss out on critical nutrients if they can’t chew raw vegetables or meat, for example. If your child only eats soft foods, his/her jaw may not develop normal size and strength.
6. Misaligned teeth can damage the gums and underlying bone.
7. It’s easier to clean teeth when they are straight and uncrowded.
When uneven teeth begin to crowd together, it becomes problematic to make essential daily cleanings effective. And, when your teeth aren’t cleaned properly, issues with plaque build-up, cavities, and gum disease usually result.
8. If the child’s crooked teeth are not fixed while they are young, the problems may compound and become worse with age.
Severely crooked teeth ordinarily influence energy and quality of life. For example, chewing issues can lead to ulcers, and gum disease increases the risk of stroke and heart disease.
At Stephen Ratcliff Family and Cosmetic Dentistry in Arlington TX we have several orthodontic options. We serve patients from Mansfield and Grand Prairie. Other services include complete family dentistry. Call today!
Contact Stephen Ratcliff Family & Cosmetic Dentistry:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):