“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
Benjamin Franklin coined this phrase in the 1730s as advice for fire safety. However, like all timeless quotes, it applies to many more characteristics of modern life, particularly dental health in Arlington. Keeping your smile beautiful and healthy is done most effectively with preventative measures. Some important guidelines for dental health in Arlington are highlighted here.
1. Make a habit of brushing your teeth. Do it twice a day for 2 minutes. Be sure to use an ADA approved toothpaste and toothbrush.
2. Don’t forget the floss! Flossing between your teeth daily will do wonders for your teeth and keep your gums healthy too.
3. Wear a protective mouth guard when joining in any activity where your teeth could possibly be damaged.
4. Don’t smoke. As if you needed yet another reason not to!
5. Abstain from piercing your lips, tongue, cheek, or any other part of your mouth that someone decided you should shove a metal bar through. Piercings put you at greater risk for chipped teeth, infection, and nerve damage. It’s a risky fashion that you’ll want to avoid.
6. Avoid snacks that have a lot of sugar or starch.
7. Schedule regular dental visits, of course!
At Stephen Ratcliff Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, helping our dental patients establish good habits is important to us, and so is helping them achieve the smile they want with cosmetic dentistry procedures such as porcelain veneers, teeth whitening, dental implants, and complete smile redesign. Stephen Ratcliff Family & Cosmetic Dentistry has been serving the Arlington area since 1990. If you are in the market for an excellent dentist, we invite you to contact us at 817-274-7875 so we can make an appointment for you regarding your dental health in Arlington.